Westinghouse brake compressor

Please read before posting to the Preserved-Diesels Forum

Westinghouse brake compressor

Postby pioneer2 » 02 Apr 2012 15:59

Whilst helping to clear a garage for an old chap who is moving house I came across an old Westinghouse Brake and Signal Co. compressor. He used to work at Ravenscraig steel works and I think that it might have come from one of their diesel shunters. The compressor is twin cylinder with a triple vee belt drive pulley. It appears to be on its original mounting frame and is marked 2.25 E9P 39894. The pump turns freely and looks like it would need little work to make it serviceable. It looks too heavy to have come from an HGV. It's been crudely mounted on an old air receiver. Does anyone recognise this unit or where it might have come from before it is consigned to the scrap? It's free to a good home.

I saved Class 14 D9524 from the scrap man when I worked for BP at Grangemouth. I've more photos if required.

Attachments
003.JPG
003.JPG (238.83 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
Last edited by pioneer2 on 03 Apr 2012 09:07, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Hutchinson
pioneer2

Re: Westinghouse brake compressor

Postby MacRat » 02 Apr 2012 18:07

Sounds a bit like the one I'm looking for at the mo ... see: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3949 For some reason I can't open the image file.

Is this one you have still in Scotland? I'm off all this week so could take a look any day to suit, if need be.

Cheers
Matt

p.s. any chance you could add your name to the signature of your profile - I can do it for you if you like. Oh, and welcome to the forum 8)
Matt Stoddon
EE/VF3353/D839
One of the Mods
MacRat
Site Admin

Postby pioneer2 » 02 Apr 2012 21:14

Not sure why the photo didn't upload, I'll try again tomorrow. I saw the picture of the type of compressor you were looking for, the one I have has horizontal cylinders with a sump below (looks like an inverted L). The cylinders/head and general dimensions look similar. The crankcase dip stick is on top of the sump rather than at the side. I guess the compressor dates sometime 50s.

Yes it is in Scotland (Alloa). If it looks any use once you have seen the photo then I am about all day Friday if you want to take a look.

Regards

Chris Hutchinson.
Chris Hutchinson
pioneer2

Postby pioneer2 » 04 Apr 2012 16:40

Chris Hutchinson
pioneer2

Postby DMShell » 05 Apr 2012 12:51

Not quite what is required for the Fowler Matt, however I would think with a bit of tweaking - a new mount, and different drive belts it could be utilised...
Dave Shell
MD Northumbria Rail / Owner of some stuff
Involved with various projects inc ALCo 801
DMShell

Return to welcome