How do I find the train I saw at Hither Green?

Please read before posting to the Preserved-Diesels Forum

How do I find the train I saw at Hither Green?

Postby hgr-lbg » 30 Mar 2010 21:16

Good evening gentleman, I have all of a sudden become fascinated by these wonderful diesel locomotives so well documented on your site. My Grandfather worked on the railways out of London Bridge after WW1 through the 1920's through to his retirement in the mid 1950's.. curiously my mother and uncles also spent some of their childhoods in the 1940s and 50s at the Railway Orphanage at Woking in Surrey..

I was at the platform on Hither Green this morning (30th March 2010 10.05) and noticed a diesel pulling away from London, not sure if it was a type 37 (think it was a 37), 45 or 55 but it appeared carriageless (maybe had one carriage) and it had large modern Railfreight writing on the side.. How would I find out what it was and its operation?

thank you
Matt Glazier
Loco Enthusiast
London
hgr-lbg

Re: How do I find the train I saw at Hither Green?

Postby MacRat » 30 Mar 2010 22:39

You may be better asking this question on the WNXX forum which deals with more day-to-day locomotive workings. This (preserved-diesels) forum is based towards the preserved/restored locos that you talk about which are unlikely (though not impossible) to work on the network.

The link you need is http://www.wnxxforum.com/interactive/index.php

Hope this helps!

p.s. any chance you can please edit your User Profile signature to include your full name, ta!
Matt Stoddon
EE/VF3353/D839
One of the Mods
MacRat
Site Admin

Postby hgr-lbg » 30 Mar 2010 23:22

cheers Matt, will look into it..
was a great site to see one of these machines grumbling away and powering out of the station, I had no idea they dated back as far as the early 60s

regards

Matt Glazier
Matt Glazier
Loco Enthusiast
London
hgr-lbg

Postby Curler Guy » 01 Apr 2010 18:57

Going in your description, probably a '37.
Douglas Third

Insects are one of the few subjects along with football and religion where everyone, regardless of age, gender, race or creed, can act like a 3 year old and it be considered normal

AARRGGHH IT'S A MOTH!!

Get a GRIP you f**kwit!!
Curler Guy

Return to welcome